WHEN A PENCHANT FOR MAKING FACEMASKS USING A BAG OF CLAY AND A KENWOOD MIXER TURNS INTO A SOCIAL MEDIA HIT AND AWARD-WINNING BUSINESS, IT’S EASY TO SEE HOW FOLLOWING YOUR PASSION CAN RESULT IN SUCCESS. IN THIS PODCAST WE TALK TO OUR GUEST, SARA QUILTER, WHO DECONSTRUCTED HER OWN SKINCARE REGIME TO ANALYSE JUST WHAT WAS GOING ON HER SKIN. HER DISCOVERIES PROMPTED SARA TO EVENTUALLY QUIT HER ‘PROPER’ JOB IN H.R TO REFINE HER ORIGINAL CLAY FACEMASK AND DEVELOP TAILOR SKINCARE, A RANGE OF ECO-FRIENDLY, ETHICAL AND NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCTS. THE SECRET INGREDIENT TO THE TAILOR BRAND’S POPULARITY? LISTEN NOW AND LEARN HOW SIMPLE BEGINNINGS SUCH AS SARA’S CAN HELP SOLVE THE WORLD’S CURRENT ISSUES:
“I looked at the chemicals going into food production systems … had to wear a suit to spray them onto our foods … shocking and scary.”
Sara Quilter, https://www.tailorskin.co
When is a chemical OK and when is it harmful? According to science, everything is made from chemical components, but should you be able to pronounce (let alone spell!) the name before you use it; and if you can’t eat it, should you put it on your skin? In this interview we find out about synthetic vs natural chemicals and how these are reflected in Tailor Skincare’s product identity.
The brand ethos for Tailor (Natural, Cruelty Free, Eco Conscious) is the philosophy Sara has held firm in all her business decisions. But would you turn down a potential customer in massive China because they didn’t share your ethical values? We find out today whether Sara decided to take on the big guns to help build her business. Plus, listen up to hear what other avenues she is pursuing to further expand her philanthropic ideals (heard of The Tailor Fund?).
Points of interest I took from this interview:
- Just what a dynamic beast social media is and how you can transform a hobby into an entire business using Facebook
- The simplicity and cost effectiveness of using an outsourcing business model; if you can’t afford to hire a whole person, hire the best of part of a person! Sound whacky? It works!
- The importance of changing promotional tack to ensure SEO and keep up with everchanging Facebook algorithms. (What’s the best way, right now?)
- Gaining traction on social media platforms results in retailers taking note - with view to potential partnership
- Collaboration with your competition is the new way forward
- Success online (‘watching followers’) creates strong lead magnets.
Sara tells us how to use these lead magnets to build what she classifies as the most important asset to her business: an email database of interested, engaged subscribers who will one day convert brand loyal, active customers.
But in the meantime, keep working on your business as well as in it and,
“Don’t be afraid of hard work – you may even cry sometimes!”
And by the way, if you need more help in moving your business from chaos to control visit me, Craig Oliver at: http://www.theprojectguys.co.nz/
Or read the show notes from our other amazingly informative, inspirational and gritty podcasts at: https://www.talkingbetterbusiness.com/
So many insights, tips and ideas to be had! Just look back, listen and learn, because having the right attitude may be the best approach you can take.
Go on, smash through the glass ceiling and grow your business into something remarkable!